Churches: Holy Trinity
The original stone church was built in 1869 on the northern Winona frontier by a dedicated group of Luxembourgers. While the locally quarried stone exterior was lovingly cared for up to the present, the church interior was gutted and insensitively remodeled in the mid-1960s.
The parishioners’ goal was to incorporate post-Vatican II liturgical guidelines and recreate some of the Luxembourg vernacular in their decorating scheme. A Gathering Area was created at the entrance with an overflow balcony above. The original cruciform plan was reinstated with a center aisle, and new traditionally detailed liturgical furnishings were added. The tabernacle is located in a beautifully carved triptych that can be opened or closed in the center of the Sanctuary. The original wood floors were uncovered and refinished. The work was accomplished with parishioner talent, labor, and resources.