Civic: Shirley M. Wright Memorial Library
The Trempealeau library was founded in 1913 and has been a steady force in this quaint river town. The previous 1,250 square foot library was in the Municipal Building and could only accommodate a minimal collection. The Library Board addressed this dilemma and acquired property for a 7,500 square foot state-of-the-art, stand alone, new library. The facility incorporates total barrier-free accessibility to all areas, a drive-thru book return and pick-up, covered front porch entrance, public lobby with coffee area, and multipurpose rooms for library and community use. The plan of the library has a centrally located circulation desk adjacent to a comfortable reading lounge with a fireplace. The layout allows for quiet study and work areas and a memorable children’s area while incorporating an infrastructure to support information technologies.