Historic: Cana Island Light Station
Baileys Harbor, WI
The Cana Island Light Station has illuminated the Lake Michigan coastline of Door County for more than 146 years. The Keeper’s Residence and Light Tower were constructed on the remote 8.7-acre site in 1869 of cream city brick, and the complex has grown over the years to include a privy, oil house, and storage shed. The Light Station is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and a phased implementation restoration effort began with the rehabilitation of the exterior envelopes of the Keeper’s Residence and Light Tower to preserve the structures.
The historic brick walls and stone trim were tuckpointed and cleaned in compliance with the Secretary of the Interior’s requirements, and all doors and window trim were rehabilitated to conform to their requirements to match the historic design of the original units.