Historic: Dayton House Restoration
The Dayton House is an Alden Dow designed Georgian Colonial house constructed in 1890 for George Draper Dayton, founder of Dayton’s Department Store. The house had several successive owners before it was purchased by Historic Worthington, Inc. for the purpose of restoring it as a museum and bed and breakfast. The $2 million restoration was financed by the Dayton family and other private donors. Principal Bill White (deceased) of River Architects prepared an extensive Historic Structure Report that included a building evaluation and recommendations to guide the restoration work.
The work included restoring a grand central staircase with flanking formal parlors, cherry woodwork, and massive windows that look out over a wrap around porch. The existing roof was returned to the original design, and the mechanical, plumbing, and electrical systems were replaced. In 2004 the project received a Preservation Award from the Minnesota Preservation Alliance.
Photos by Historic Worthington, Inc.