Historic: Timm House Restoration
New Holstein, WI
The Herman C. Timm House, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, was constructed in 1873 and a large Stick Style front addition was added in 1892. The house was donated to the New Holstein Historical Society in 1974.
River Architects prepared a detailed Historic Structure Report in 2002. The restoration implementation was divided into 3 phases (roof, exterior, interior) to deal with the most pressing needs first while accommodating fundraising progress.
The 1.5 million dollar restoration was completed in the summer of 2007 and included structural repair and new mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems. Exterior restoration included reconstructed historic features resulting from painstaking analysis of historic photographs and a historic color scheme based on paint analysis performed by Robert Furhoff. The interior restoration is notable for the extensive faux grained woodwork which was recreated to match remnants of the original graining discovered behind radiators.