Historic: Hixon House
La Crosse, WI
The Italianate-style Hixon House was constructed in 1858 by lumber baron Gideon Hixon. The house was remodeled numerous times and several additions were built from the late 1850s through the first decade of the 20th Century. In 1974 the Hixon House was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
River Architects prepared a Historic Structure Report in 2001 that provided the guidelines for the restoration process to return the 1858 house to its early 1900s condition. This period was targeted because it marked the zenith of the Hixon’s improvements to the property.
The implementation of the report’s recommendations focused on the restoration of the building envelope, specific interior remodeling work, plumbing, mechanical, and electrical work. The interior is furnished almost entirely with furniture original to the house and the result is a remarkably authentic picture of late Victorian life.